In summer, mosquitoes are a problem across the country, and particularly in Southwest Florida. This year, mosquito season started earlier and is expected to end later. Mosquito growth coincides with high tides, full moons, the winds and water.
Historically mosquito season can start as early as May, but with later rains this year, it has been in full swing since February and expected to continue until November.
Tips to avoid a mosquito bite:
1. Avoid going out at dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are at their worst.
2. Wear long sleeves, pants and shoes and even socks when out during these high traffic times.
3. Drain everything that holds standing water frequently. Flower pots can be the worst offenders, along with buckets. It is a fact that mosquitoes can breed in as little as a cap full of water.
4. Use an insect repellent. Experts recommend those that contain Deet (short for the generic brand of diethyltoluamide). It is a colorless oily liquid with a mild odor, an insect and tick repellent. Use as recommended. Mosquito control officials say it is the best active ingredient for repellents and lasts the longest.
5. Take extra care when exploring wooded areas and beach trails and pathways.
Mosquitoes have a good side:
As “aquatic insects”, mosquitoes at the larvae stage, are nutrient-packed food for fish and other aquatic animals.
At their adult stage, mosquitoes feed birds, bats, and spiders.
Around the world there are over 3,500 species of mosquitoes, with more than 40 different varieties of fresh water mosquitoes in the Lee and Collier County areas. Only four varieties carry disease.
If you are a seasonal resident, if there are any containers or areas outside of your home where water can pool, it could be a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Your property management team can help you control the mosquito population around your home.
Jumpp To It is a property management and property maintenance company that is licensed, bonded and insured with a great reputation serving Naples, Bonita Springs, Estero and Ft Myers since 2001.
Call us today and we will start caring for your home right away! We are available whenever and wherever you need us.